The bandwidth prices in Asia remain more than 300% expensive than the western hemisphere, said TeleGeography that has been constantly reporting this constant gap. But the Asian leaders seem unmoved about this fundamentally flawed and potentially dangerous trend across the continent. TeleGeography reports only the wholesale prices up to the gateway. Once the backhaul and licensing costs are taken into account, the Asian Internet bandwidth prices become far more expensive. Spectrum had been the only raw material of ICT until the 2G mobile became pervasive. Now the Internet bandwidth has been added as the second ingredient of ICT for development. Therefore, the cost of Internet bandwidth has to be reduced across Asia. Otherwise, discussing the digital divide and planning to bridge it shall remain as futile as chasing the mirage.
- Affordability of ICT in South Asia improves according to ITU’s Price Basket methodology on
- Renewables as cheap as conventional electricity: Time to rethink energy policy? on
- RIA research on two-sided markets published in Telecom Policy on
- Daily Star is first to report IDI Asia rankings on
- Thailand is only SE Asia winner in IDI stakes on