Sandya Salgado, MBA, MCIM, is a Career Communications Specialist with 25 years of hands-on experience in marketing communications and management; she feels that advertising is her life and not really her job!
She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Languages and an MBA in International Management; she is also a qualified marketer (MCIM).
Over the last 25 years, Sandya has held many senior management positions and has had a fascination in innovating unconventional MarCom strategies in the media and non-media platforms. She has designed many a path-breaking campaign both in the traditional and nontraditional space. She has been passionate about developing communications that benefits society while constantly looking at spearheading development communications strategies.
The most challenging job undertaken thus far has been the launch of Ogilvy Action in 1999 as a media-neutral communications company for Ogilvy & Mather Worldwide. She started the company singlehandedly on a blank sheet of paper with a set of principles and missions which have been achieved to date successfully:
- to provide employment opportunities to Sri Lankan graduates without access to any other pathway of entering the advertising industry due to their lack of English language skills;
- to provide a revenue stream to select groups of unemployed youth in the country;
- to provide a revenue stream for disabled soldiers in the country;
- non-handling of alcohol and tobacco advertising;
- to conduct socially-responsible communications at all times
In appreciation of achieving the above goals, Sandya was awarded Marketer of the Year in 2001 and Zonta Woman of Achievement in 2006.
She has trained and traveled widely, both locally and abroad, and has been invited to share experiences at international forums in marketing communications, social marketing and brand activation.
A proven multi-tasker in both her professional and personal life, Sandya has been successful in also managing a closely-knit family unit as both a wife and mother of two sons.