LIRNEasia and LIRNE.NET telecom and regulatory reform training courses provide cutting-edge, policy-relevant knowledge, drawing from ongoing research, through interactive lectures as well as group assignments. Courses are designed to enhance the strategic thinking of a select group of senior decision makers in the telecom and related sectors in the Asia Pacific and elsewhere. The focus is on the most current strategic issues.
The most recent training course was held from 12-16 April 2010 in Cape Town, South Africa. The course was organized by the UCT Graduate School of Business and Research ICT Africa, South Africa. More information is available here.
Previous courses have included faculty from 13 countries, from regulators, government, industry (including industry associations), academia, inter-governmental organizations as well as civil society.
11th Executive Course on Telecom Reform – Statistics
Participants have come from over 20 countries, primarily in the Asian region, but also from some African nations. The majority of past participants are practitioners, either from regulatory bodies, industry or government.
Some of the faculty members on previous courses have included*:
- Rohan Samarajiva, Ph.D. (Chair and CEO, LIRNEasia and former Director General of Telecommunications in Sri Lanka; designed and led the previous LIRNE.NET Telecom Reform courses).
- William Melody, Ph.D. (Managing Director, LIRNE.NET and World Dialogue on Regulation for Network Economies; designed and led the previous LIRNE.NET Telecom Reform courses).
- Tim Kelly, Ph.D. (Head, Telecom Standardization Policy Division, International Telecommunication Union).
- Rajendra Singh (Senior Regulatory Specialist, Global Information and Communication Technologies department, World Bank; Former Secretary, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India).
- Harsha de Silva, Ph.D. (Consultant Lead Economist at LIRNEasia; previously taught economics of infrastructure at the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka; consults with the Asian Development Bank and the United States Agency for International Development on economics of rural infrastructure).
Keynote presentations have been delivered by speakers of the calibre of Mr. M.H. Au* (Director General of Telecom, Hong Kong China), Dr. Hans Wijayasuriya (CEO, Dialog Telekom, Sri Lanka), Mr. Andy Haire (Assistant Director General, InfoComm Development Authority, Singapore), Mr. Satish Ranade (Vice President—Legal, VSNL) and Dr. K.F. Lai (Chief Executive Officer, BuzzCity, Singapore).
*Faculty member affiliations are given as per when the course was conducted, and hence may not necessarily reflect the current context.