LIRNEasia is a regional ICT policy and regulation think tank active across the Asia Pacific (About)


Mobile value-added services

Value-added services (VAS) over the mobile are drawing increasing attention from operators and content providers. The former believe that this provides a way out of the predicament of decreasing average revenues per customer (ARPU). The latter see this as a potentially powerful distribution medium, in light of the increasing likelihood that the mobile will become the primary method of accessing the Internet for a majority of the population.

Content being provided on mobiles range from the simple ringtone to Bollywood movies and social networking on mobiles. However, the business models vary greatly. Indian operators take roughly 70 per cent of the revenues of VAS leaving 30 per cent to be split among aggregators and content providers, while the ratio is reversed in Thailand. This study will document the way the VAS are shaping up as well as analyze the business models.

LIRNEasia intends to explore this phenomenon, with respect to Buzz City, Singapore, India and Thailand.

This research was conducted by Puree Sirasoontorn (PhD) in 2009/10.

Downloads

Sirasoontorn, P. (2010), Economic Analysis of Business Model for Delivering Mobile Value-Added Services in Thailand

Citation for the above report should be done as: Author Last Name, First Name Initial, (2009), Report Name, Retrieved Date, URL of document on LIRNEasia website.

Policy brief

Presentations

Subpages

Search

Research Mailing List

Enter your email for research updates:

Login

Flickr Photos