This research explores the use of mobile communications for disaster warnings in a public-warning model: In the larger picture of disaster risk reduction, public warning is an essential component. The original NEWS:SL report identified cell broadcasting as a key technology of early public warning, especially if high mobile penetration existed. This was because cell broadcasting is not subject to congestion, which affects all communication media except broadcasting. LIRNEasia, in cooperation with relevant authorities, intends to conduct a scoping study to introduce cell broadcasting to the Maldives. The proposed research will include a component on protocols for communication between the warning authority in government and mobile operators and an assessment of the other day-to-day applications of cell broadcasting.
This research was conducted by Natasha Udu-gama in 2009.
Citation for the above report should be done as: Author Last Name, First Name Initial, (2009), Report Name, Retrieved Date, URL of document on LIRNEasia website.
- “Cell broadcasting for public warning: Our work in the Maldives” Presentation by Rohan Samarajiva at LIRNEasia’s 5th Anniversary Conference, 9 – 11 December 2009
- “Cell broadcasting: Public warning technology “made for the Maldives“” Presentation by Rohan Samarajiva at Release of Report on Cell Broadcasting for Early Disaster Warning in Maldives, Male, 15 July 2009
- “Implementing Inclusive ICTs: Mobile Cell Broadcasting for a Public Warning System in Maldives” Presentation by Natasha Udu-gama at the Second India Disaster Management Congress, 4 – 6 November 2009
- World Disasters Report 2009, International Red Cross, June 2009
- Early Warning: Cell broadcast ideal for Maldives public warning: think tank, Lanka Business Online, 17 July 2009
- Mobile messages could aid early warning in the Maldives, SciDev, 18 August 2009
To view related blog posts, click here; select posts available below:
- FCC to consider use of mobile cell broadcast for emergencies, April 10, 2008
- Report: SMS not ideal for Emergency Communications, September 18, 2008
- Maldives: Ideally positioned to lead in cell broadcasting, October 1, 2008
- Harmonization of cell broadcasting channels, October 3, 2008
- Maldives cell broadcasting research showcased in World Disasters Report 2009, June 18, 2009
- Cell Broadcasting for Early Disaster Warning in Maldives: Report released today, July 15, 2009
- Maldives cell broadcast report featured in SciDev, August 19, 2009
- Sri Lanka: President uses SMS to wish mobile users: Why not Cell Broadcasting?, January 01, 2010