India’s Department of Telecommunications, or DoT, Friday said the auction of radio bandwidth for third generation, or 3G, mobile phone services will take place as per schedule on Jan. 30 and that there will be no further delay.
Analysts and industry players, however, expect the process not just to be further delayed, but also to attract fewer participants for the bidding process.
Their apprehension follows recent media reports, citing government documents, that the finance ministry has sought to double the auction price for pan-India 3G radio bandwidth, or spectrum, to INR40.40 billion.
“There is no (further) delay. The auction is on schedule,” said Akshay Rout, a spokesman for India’s ministry of communication, told Dow Jones Newswires.
The Indian government had already delayed the auction to Jan. 30 from Jan. 16.
Read the full story in CNNMoney here.