When I was last in Myanmar, 3G was said to be available, people had smartphones, but congestion made connecting a challenge. It appears the operators are responding.
According to Takashi Nagashima, CEO of MPT-KDDI-Sumitomo joint operations, the network improvement plan kicked off on November 6. The capacity of congested 3G sites in Yangon and Nay Pyi Taw was expanded. Capacity of those sites is now about 50 per cent higher than before November 6.
He added that the capacity and coverage will be boosted nationwide. By the end of March 2015, the number of 3G sites will double. In the Yangon area, the total 3G network capacity will almost triple. MPT is also testing the 3G network technology to allow better data service.
“We have planned to accelerate geographic coverage and reach more than 70 per cent by 2016.By mid-2015, almost 100 per cent of MPT networks will be covered with 3G,” said Nagashima.
“We currently stand as the number-one telecom operator in Myanmar. We are more than willing to maintain our standing in the future. We will try our best to satisfy customers by expansion of coverage and capacity. We cannot say how much we have invested for the joint operations so far,but we are committed to investing US$2 billion over ten years,” he added.