The selected candidate would work with Big Data technologies such as MapReduce as well as with statistical methods using real world Big Data whilst conducting cutting edge research. Specific responsibilities include:
- Provide technical support in collecting, cleaning, organizing, managing and analyzing data
- Assist with the large-scale analysis using Big Data tools such as T-Cube (http://tcube.autonlab.org) from Carnegie Mellon University, Business Activity Monitor (http://wso2.com/products/business-activity-monitor/) and Complex Event Processor (http://wso2.com/products/complex-event-processor/) from WSO2, R statistical package.
- Uncover insights via exploratory data analysis
- Assist in the development and implementation of statistical models
- Assist with the identification and integration of software tools (both licensed products as well as open source tools)
- Publish research results in various local and international forums
- At a minimum a B.Sc. in computer engineering, systems engineering, information technology and/or electrical engineering with a focus in computer programming
- Academic excellence, as evidenced through a minimum second class lower grading for the degree or a GPA higher than 3.0 out of 4.0
- Minimum of 1 year prior experience in a similar capacity
- Some competence in statistical modeling. Additional experience as outlined in the next section would be highly desirable.
- Graduate-level work in a quantitative discipline such as Statistics or Applied Mathematics
- Broad knowledge of statistical methods–GLM, GAM, Recursive Partitioning, hierarchical models, random effects, time series methods, bootstrapping, model aggregation, SVM, Bayesian methods, MCMC, etc.
- Deep knowledge of R and statistical computing
- Ability to glean useful knowledge from messy, poorly-structured data
- Knowledge about GIS systems
What we offer
In addition to a competitive, output‐dependent remuneration package, the position will enable the motivated software developer to take advantage of a work environment highly conducive towards conducting cutting-edge research in computational data science and applying them to real world problems. Furthermore this position affords the opportunity to work along side researchers and software developers of international repute.
How to apply
Submit a detailed CV (no more than four pages), phone/email contacts of two non-related references who can speak to relevant experience/abilities, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1st August 2013 or earlier. The subject of the email should be: Big Data software developer – YOURNAME (where “YOURNAME” should be replaced with your given name and surname name; e.g. “Big Data software developer – John Smith”). Due to the high volume applications expected, only candidates who are selected for a first round interview will have their applications acknowledged and contacted.
About the organizations
LIRNEasia (www.lirneasia.net) is a policy and regulation think tank based in Colombo but working across South Asia, South East Asia and the Pacific Islands. We generate and disseminate actionable knowledge for reforms in ICT sectors and other sectors that benefit from ICTs through applied research, dissemination of best practices, training and advisory assistance. Our primary audiences are, companies within and outside the regions we work in, governments (including bilateral and multilateral development agencies), and the media. Funded by the International Research Development Centre (IDRC) of Canada, LIRNEasia is currently engaged in large-scale analysis of connectedness and mobility of the Sri Lankan population. The insights from this research are intended inform multiple public policy domains.
WSO2 (www.wso2.com) is a global enterprise middleware corporation with offices in USA, UK and Sri Lanka. Providing the only complete open source middleware platform from on-premise to cloud, WSO2 is revolutionizing the industry by putting traditional middleware on a diet and introducing lean, powerful and flexible solutions to address the 21st century enterprise challenges.