The extant public discourse on leveraging big data for public purposes is characterized by a competition of imaginations, between hype and pessimism. The term “big data” itself has unfortunately become a Rorschach blot, upon which different people impose their own meanings. LIRNEasia role is to participate in this global dialogue with experiential evidence. We conduct our own big data analyses and engage deeply with policy makers, as well as the private sector who currently possess the majority (if not the only source) of big data of relevance for developmental policy.
The current goals of this research practice are:
- Analyze and produce insights from Mobile Network Big Data (MNBD) for informing policy across various domains (urban & transportation planning, DRR, economic and social policy, health, etc.)
- Deeply engage with policy makers and the symbolic environment of policy domains to facilitate the uptake of insights from big data for developmental policy; and be intelligent and informed consumers of big data insights.
- Develop guidelines for the ethical use of mobile network big data in collaboration with mobile operators so as to catalyze greater access to big data for development research purposes by reducing the transaction costs of releasing the data.
- Catalyze the development of in-situ expertise in developing economies to conduct big data analyses for developmental purposes.
For more information on specific research projects: | 2012-15 IDRC exploratory research |
This research is being funded primarily by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) of Canada.
Contact: Sriganesh Lokanathan
Events & Presentations
- Big Data in the Telecommunication Industry | ITU World Telecommunication / ICT Indicators Symposium, Mexico, December 2013
- Big data for development: Responsible use of mobile meta-data to support public purposes | Sri Lanka, August 2014
- Leveraging mobile network big data for development | IIT-Delhi, August 2014
- Big Data for Beginners | at a course funded by the Ford Foundation, Delhi, August 2014
- Big Data for Development | panel discussion at ITU Telecom World, Doha, December 2014
- Using mobile network big data for urban and transportation planning in Colombo | IESL, Colombo 2015
Papers & Publications
- Lokanathan, S & Gunaratne, R. L. (forthcoming). Behavioral Insights for Development from Mobile Network Big Data. Communications & Strategies.
- Lokanathan, S., Kreindler, G., de Silva, N. D., Miyauchi, Y. & Dhananjaya, D. (2014). Using Mobile Network Big Data for Informing Transportation and Urban Planning in Colombo. CPRsouth 2014.
- Lokanathan, S. (2014). The role of big data for ICT monitoring and for development. In Measuring the Information Society 2014. International Telecommunication Union.
- Big data for urban planning | The Daily Star, Dhaka, December 2014
- Now, better urban planning through telecom networks | Business Line, The Hindu, March 2015
- Big data can make South Asian cities smarter | SciDev.Net
For a customized list of blog posts related to big data for development, please click here.